A practical guide to searching for a missing person
What to do
Someone you know is missing. Time is of the essence and efficiency is crucial. Here are some things to do right now.
- Report the person as missing
- Write down everything you know
- Enlist people to help you
- Create a poster and distribute it
There will be constraints like time, money and skills. Be realistic about how much you are able to take on and delegate where you can.
There are lots ways of communicating your urgency. Try to stay positive - about 95% of missing Australians are found within a month.
- Reestablish contact with media
- Create new print materials
- Grow the web presence
- Contact the AFP
- Start managing their affairs
A long term search for a missing person is tough. It's a type of grief very few can understand, but there are people and resources that can help.
- Expand the search
- Contact the Family Tracing Service
- Have an age progression image made
- Apply to have an inquest opened